What students need to know about the new COD library

The Chaparral

Newly opened COD library.

Amaray Alvarez, Staff Reporter

The site for the new College of the Desert Hilb Center has finally been completed at the main Palm Desert campus after undergoing renovation. The original campus library was open from 1964 to 1995 making it 25 years since students have had access to a library on campus.

While students have expressed their satisfaction with no longer having to use the library owned by the city of Palm Desert, the building has new features and rules that many may not be familiar with. Here are a few tips and things students should know when using the facilities.

The Hilb center at the main COD campus is divided into two stories. The first floor is the library and the second floor is the new location of the Tutoring and Academic Skills Center (TASC). Both of the old locations for these two services are now closed.

One of the main features that students have been confused about is the new myCODprint system. The new printing system is used by both the library and TASC center and requires students to preload money onto their student ID’s to print.

Selena Hernandez, a student assistant librarian, states that the easiest way to access myCODprint is to go to the link on the library page through the campus website. There students can load money through PayPal or log in as a guest and input their card information. To use the printing system, a minimum of two dollars needs to be loaded onto your student ID and you must have it with you to print.

Just having your student ID number will not work.

The price to print in black and white is 16 cents per sheet double-sided and 10 cents per sheet single-sided. If you would like to print in color, the price is 70 cents per sheet double-sided and 40 cents per sheet single-sided.

The library and TASC center do not handle funds and require students to use the new printing system. Students who do not have a credit card or PayPal account can still print with cash at the Student Life building at the main campus.

As of right now, the TASC centers at the Indio, Desert Hot Springs and Palm Spring campuses will continue to offer free printing throughout the 2020 spring semester. They may, however, adopt the myCODprint system for the fall semester.

Along with textbook checkouts and librarian assistance, the library part of Hilb has work tables, a computer lab and study rooms available for student use. The computers need to be checked out using a student ID at the front desk.

The study rooms also require a student ID and are on a first-come, first-served basis. The rooms can be used by two or more students for two hours at a time.

Upstairs the TASC center offers study rooms, tutoring in multiple subjects and a new quiet lab. Students can also check out calculators, textbooks, whiteboard supplies and locks for skateboards or bikes.

When walking upstairs there is a whiteboard with the tutoring schedules listed for the week to your right.

Celeste Islas, an Instructional Support Assistant at TASC, wants to clarify that TASC and the library are two different facilities. “The library on the first floor is for students and the general public,” Islas said, “TASC on the second floor is only for students and you must always log in when coming upstairs.”

The main campus library is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Mondays through Thursdays and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays.

The TASC center is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Mondays through Thursdays and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays, but tutoring hours vary.

For more information stop by the front desk on both floors.